



Pictures: (1) Aerial view of my town a few days after the first snow. (2)My very warm, very green coat. It was a present from my work partner, she's very sweet and very concerned about my warmth here in Moldova. (3) New Years Eve in Chisinau. (4) Preserved food for the winter.
Holidays in
Work
After the holidays, I had 2 separate visits from Peace Corps staff to see how things are progressing at site. Up until this point, my partner has given me a lot space to get adjusted, and meet people in town. The visits were really productive because we were able to solidify some of the projects I’ll be working on, and I learnt much more about the NGO. It’s a very small-grassroots youth organization that will hopefully open a youth resource center in town, with funding.
My other main activity in town has been working with a group of students at the university on an English club and discussion group. This has been a great way to get to know local youth, and usually turns into the highlight of my week.
I also learnt recently that I will be working with a girls camp this summer. This is the first year that an entire week of camp will be conducted in Russian, so I will be helping with that.
Cuisine
I’m thinking about starting a support group for my host mom’s who deal with my diet. Really, their hospitality and creativity in adapting to my bizarre diet has been wonderful, but it’s almost unheard of to be vegetarian here. The staples at most meals are meat, bread, and potatoes. So, I eat a lot of borsch (potatoe and beet soup), pasta, and potatoes (fried, baked, in sauce). In the winter there’s not an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables, so I have been eating pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, all preserved from the fall. My favorite dish, by far is Mama Liga. It’s a simple dish from cornmeal that is boiled into a spongy mound, eaten with onions or tomatoe sauce. I have been able to cook often in my new apartment and have introduced some Moldovan friends to the wonders of Chinese and Indian food. Now, if I can just figure out thai food, I will be set.
A fellow volunteer has been taping much of the experience here in Moldova and posted them on youtube: 8 hour layover in Frankfurt on the way to Moldova, highlights from training, and our swearing in ceremony where you can see me dancing at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
No comments:
Post a Comment