I walked into the Peace Corps office this weekend and immediately noticed the new picture on the wall: my boss Barack Obama. Since I live in a small town in Eastern Europe, without any other Americans, and far from the emotion of the election in the U.S. it was hard to work myself up to excitement about the inauguration. In general friends & strangers in Moldova congratulated me on the election results (becuase I of course was personally responsible for him being elected), but when the inauguration came around I was reminding many people of the day. I watched it on TV dubbed in Russian and missed much of the speech, but was finally able to watch it again on the internet. And that's when it stopped feeling like fiction and felt real. That is when it finally hit me that we have a new president.
So in honor of our new president and his mention of the 'spirit of service' in his inauguration speech, here are some pictures from my work with a local youth league & volunteer center. The young people arranged a fundraising concert for "International Day of the Disabled." We are also working on peer education in human rights, anti-trafficking, healthy life-skills, and some other areas. The volunteers will be trained to go to villages, where some of this information is not available, and do trainings.




No comments:
Post a Comment